Use volumetric flasks for precise measurement
A volumetric flask is lab glass or plasticware used to prepare a solution. It is used to make up a solution to a known volume. Volumetric flasks are used to measure volumes much more precisely than beakers or Erlenmeyer flasks.
How to use a volumetric flask
- Add your solute to your solution.
- Add enough solvent to dissolve the solute.
- Keep adding your solvent until it gets close to the line marked on the volumetric flask.
- Use a pipette to fill the flask.
- Use the meniscus* of the solution and the graduation line on the flask to determine your endpoint.
- Place the volumetric flask stopper into the volumetric flask to seal it.
- Invert the flask to thoroughly mix the solution.