Rapidly reduce hard and brittle samples with planetary motion
- Planetary motion rotates sun wheel in one direction while the sample jar rotates in the opposite direction
- Single grinding station for one 250 mL or one 500 mL grinding jar
- Unique, easy-to-operate jar clamping system
- Programmable touch screen interface capable of storing up to 10 run protocols
- Ergonomic design makes loading a grinding jar into the mill easy
The Spex 8200 Planetary Mill grinds samples with a mechanical motion rotating the jar in one direction while the platform, planetary wheel, often referred to as the sun wheel, is rotated in the opposite direction. The mechanical milling is performed at a 2:1 ratio causing the jar to rotate twice for every single rotation of the sun wheel. As the jar is moved, the relative centrifugal force is transferred to the grinding balls causing them to move in a circular motion, into each other and against the jar wall, grinding the sample. Functionally described as a high-shearing or a high-energy ball mill, this mill is used for pulverizing rocks, minerals, sand, cement, slag, ceramics, glass, and other brittle to hard samples to analytical fineness, blending powders or making emulsions.
The mills also feature a touch screen display, sleek modern design, forced-air cooling, a safety interlock, and a choice of hardened steel or stainless steel grinding jars and media, which are purchased separately.