Pumping Flammable Liquids
Pumping flammable liquids can create hazardous conditions. To reduce the hazard levels, follow these five general safety guidelines. See our "Safety" section for a selection of products to create a safer working environment.
- Always use a metallic pump with air-driven or explosion-proof (XPRF) motor.
- Make sure all components are metal. Plastic can build up static charges but will not conduct and cannot be grounded.
- Electrically ground the operator and all pump components including motor (even if air-driven), inlet and discharge piping, hose clamps, holding tank, and receiving tank.
- Avoid splashing liquidssplashing generates static electricity that can result in ignition or explosion.
- Avoid isolated conductors, such as a metal nozzle at the end of plastic discharge tubing.