Liven up your lab this spring.
Spring is the time for new beginnings. The leaves pop and the flowers blossom and becomes alive again. It’s the best time to liven up your lab, too. Do you spring clean your lab every year? Are you working with old lab equipment? It’s an ideal time to check all equipment as well and replace what is old. Replacing old lab equipment can give you more efficiency. Upgrading to a newer model can save you time and money, especially if your equipment is not working as it should. It might even me using more energy than newer models. And, you may be able to get some new features on newer models that weren’t available before.
What to replace
Not sure what you should replace first? These four products can help to make your lab more efficient and safer than if you are using older equipment.
With a variety of balances, how do you choose? Here is a quick run down of the types:
– Analytical balances are precise balances with readability to .01g (5 decimal places) making them ideal for universities, pharmaceutical, and high-precision manufacturing applications.
– Toploading balances are used primarily for weighing solid material when an accuracy of 0.1 g is satisfactory.
– A moisture balance is perfect for measuring moisture in most products including grains, pharmaceuticals, soils, sludge and chemicals. – – Mechanical balances are traditional balances that are typically used in the classroom as they can stand up to student use and be used to weigh a variety of items.
– Micro balances are used in a wide array of applications where small levels in weight variation can make a big difference in product testing and quality assurance labs to ensure that exacting production standards are being met.
Using a balance? Check out this article on balance best practices to get optimal results from your balance.
Magnetic stirrers and stirring hot plates
Magnetic stirrers and stirring hot plates are ideal staple for any laboratory. When finding one to meet your needs, there are many factors to consider. Look at this Stirrers and Hot Plates Selection Guide for help. You’ll find the latest technology from analog stirrers to digital stirrers with capacities up to 80 pounds—and choice of top plate materials to fit your exact application when you choose your magnetic stirrer or stirring hot plate from Cole-Parmer Essentials.
Incubators provide a controlled, protective setting for cell, tissue cultures and others samples that require a contamination-free contained environment. You can find a variety of lab incubators from general purpose and refrigerated to BOD and shaking. Many are equipped with see-through doors to view the entire chamber without opening the door and affecting temperature stability. Check out these models.
– Gravity Convection allows heat to fill the chamber naturally, providing a lower chance of cross contamination between samples.
– Mechanical convection offers faster heat up and better temperature uniformity and recovery due to the constant circulation of forced air.
– Mini CO2 Digital Incubator The mini digital temperature and CO2 control incubators are only 13 inches wide, small enough to fit in most biological safety cabinets, conserving valuable bench space.
Find more incubators.
Lab ovens have become more energy and work efficient. Laboratory ovens with easy programming, automation, and greater drying efficiency can get you up and running quickly. You can get several different types including:
– Programmable vacuum ovens – manage up to eight programs with eight steps each, one in which temperature, timer, and fan speed can be set.
– Mechanical convection drying ovens – Accurate and reliable temperature control up to 482°F (250°C)
– Gravity convection drying ovens Low energy consumption able to heat samples up to 392°F (200°C)
Botanical Vacuum Ovens Process botanical extract faster and safer
Don’t forget your consumables!